Transfer Station -Trash and Recycling
The Transfer Station (for trash disposal, recycling, composting and yard waste) is open Saturday morning 8:00-12:00 and Wednesday afternoon 4:00-7:00. A punch ticket is required ($25 or $125 sizes). Each 30-gallon bag of trash is 1 punch ($2.50). Larger items are priced according to size.
RECYCLING is FREE (“Acceptable Recyclables List” link above):
- “Zero Sort” for glass, cans, aluminum, #1-7 plastic; note that metal such as cans can also go in the metal dumpster, which will save the town money on removal costs
- Paper – sort into newspaper; corrugated cardboard; and all other papers
- Metal (except for refrigerators, freezers, and air-conditioners containing Freon) – Place in metal dumpster
It is FREE to dispose of ORGANIC MATERIAL:
- There is a designated area for disposal of leaf and yard debris; clean wood (i.e. not painted, glued, pressure-treated, etc.) can also be disposed of here
- Beginning July 1, 2020, all food scraps must be composted and may not be put in the trash. If you do not compost food waste at home, bring it to the designated disposal containers at the Transfer Station
- There are two permanent computer collection bins at the Transfer Station. In one bin we accept TV’s, computers, computer monitors, peripherals (mouse, keyboard, speakers, scanner, external hard drive, computer speakers, etc.) and desk-sized printers (no floor models)
- The second bin is for all other e-waste not listed above (such as answering machines, video game consoles, radios, cords, chargers, VCRs, CD/DVD players, fax machines, speakers, etc.). We will still accept these materials, but we will not get paid for them. Please note that these CANNOT go in the trash or the metal bin!
If you are not sure which gaylord to place them in, please ask the Transfer Station attendant.
Programs for e-waste disposal are also available throughout the County to serve Vermont residents. For a list of registered collection locations, click here or call 1-855-6ecycle
Batteries can be disposed of in the specially-marked collection boxes at the Transfer Station and the Town Office. Punch tickets must be obtained at the Town Office. Information sheets are available at the Transfer Station or Town Office or for download at the top of this page. Tinmouth is a member of the Rutland County Solid Waste Alliance Communities (SWAC).
Tinmouth residents may also purchase a non-district permit to utilize the Rutland County Solid Waste District (RCSWD) Gleason Road transfer station and hazardous waste depot. This permit allows access to the Gleason Road facility and provides drop-off of household hazardous waste at no charge, trash disposal at current rates, and access to recycling drop-offs. Permit purchase is available at the Scalehouse or Hazardous Waste Depot at the transfer station or by calling the RCSWD offices at 802-775-7209, Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Permits are not available for sale on weekends.
BUSINESSES, which may include town offices, schools, towns, and town garages, can dispose of their wastes at the RCSWD Gleason Road Hazardous Waste Depot. A permit is required to access the facility. Contact RCSWD directly at 802-775-7209 to purchase a permit, receive an estimate of disposal costs, and to schedule an appointment to drop off wastes. Payment for disposal will be required at the time of drop-off.
All HAULERS of solid waste shall be registered with the Select Board on forms supplied by the Town Clerk. Requirements are detailed in the Ordinance Regulating Solid Waste (link above).
Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) is only accepted on designated days. Residents of Tinmouth may also drop off their household hazardous waste at the Gleason Road Hazardous Waste Depot during normal operating hours. PROOF OF RESIDENCY REQUIRED.
Waste management for Tinmouth is overseen by the Solid Waste Alliance Communities (SWAC):