Information for Residents

Library, Dog Licenses, Zoning, Health & Subdivision Regs, Voting, Monthly Meetings, Fire Permit, Recycling and Trash


Real Rutland featured Tinmouth as a wonderful place to live. 

                          See the featured video here.

        And take a look at the drone footage, traveling along Tinmouth Channel.

Library Hours

Monday, 10 am-12 noon & 1-4 pm; Thursday, 10 am-12 noon & 1-4 pm and first Saturdays 9:30 am-12 noon.


Dog Licenses

All dogs six (6) months of age or older shall annually, on or before April 1st, be licensed. RABIES certificates must be signed by a duly licensed Veterinarian and delivered to the Town Clerk stating that the dog has within 36 months (for dogs two years of age and older), 12 months (for dogs over one but less than two years), and within the last year (for dogs under one year old), been vaccinated against rabies, BEFORE any dog is licensed.

Regular License Fees: $9.00 neutered male or spayed female; $13.00 male or female not neutered/spayed, price includes $5.00 for the State Rabies and Neutering Programs.   The price increases by 50% after April 1st.

Licenses are available at the Town Clerk’s office.


Zoning, Health & Subdivision Regulations

Tinmouth has all of the above regulations which can be downloaded from the Town Documents page. Permits are required for the following:

  • New septic systems or repairs (State Permit Required)
  • New driveways (Driveway)
  • Building Construction or Alteration (Zoning)
  • New or Changed Use (Zoning)
  • Subdivision of Land (Subdivision)
  • Application to Board of Adjustment: Appeals or Conditional Uses

If you have any questions or need an application, please contact Gail Fallar, Tinmouth Zoning Administrator, 446-2498.


To Vote in a Town Election One Must:

  1. Be a citizen of the United States of America.
  2. Be 18 years of age or over.
  3. Have taken the Freeman’s Oath in the State of Vermont.
  4. Have his or her name appear on the Check List no later than 5 days before election.

Please contact the Town Clerk for an application to the Check List.

Town Calendar— Monthly Meetings

Select Board Town Office 2nd Thursday & 4th Tuesday 7:00 p.m.
Mill River Unified Union School District varies 1st & 3rd Wed. 7:00 p.m.
Volunteer Fire Dept. Fire House 1st Thursday 6:30 p.m.
Historical & Genealogical Society Town Office 4th Sunday 2:00 p.m.
Planning Commission Town Office 4th Monday 7:00 p.m.

Fire Permit

If there is no snow on the ground, a fire permit is required from the Fire Warden.  Failure to receive a permit puts all liability on the homeowner should the fire get out of control.  Fines may be levied.

For information about a fire permit call Glenn  Merrill, 446-2782 or Wheaton Squier, 446-2082.  If you cannot reach the Fire Wardens you may also call Marshall Squier, Fire Chief at 235-2718.                                                   `

In case of a forest fire, call 911.

Glenn D. Merrill, Fire Warden
Wheaton Squier, Deputy

Emergency Numbers

Fire Department, Rescue Squad/Ambulance, State Police Dial 911

If the 911 System is down, call the Fire Department local number 446-2460.

Transfer Station -Trash and Recycling

The Transfer Station (for trash disposal and recycling) is open Saturday morning 8:00-12:00 and Wednesday afternoon 4:00-7:00. A punch ticket is required ($25 or $125 sizes). Each 30-gallon bag of trash is 1 punch ($2.50). Larger items are priced according to size.

Recycling is FREE

1. Zero sort for glass, tin cans, aluminum, #1-7 plastic

2. Paper – sort into newspaper; corrugated cardboard; and all other papers

3. Metal (except for refrigerators, freezers, and air-conditioners containing Freon)

COMPUTER COLLECTION:  There are two permanent computer collection bins  at the Transfer Station. We accept TV’s, computers, computer monitors, peripherals (mouse, keyboard, speakers, scanner, external hard drive, computer speakers, etc) and desk sized printers (no floor models) in our “COVERED ELECTRONICS”.

The second bin is for all other E-waste not listed above.  We will still accept these,  but we will not get paid for them. Please note that these CANNOT go in the trash and cannot go into the metal bin!


Cordless phone/Charger

Answering Machine

Digital TV Converter Box

Video Game Console

Very Light Equipment   (small CD players/radios, etc.)

Bag of cords/chargers/misc.


CD/DVD Players

One Piece Stereos

Fax Machine

Stereo Speakers

     If you are not sure which gaylord to place them in, please ask the Transfer Station Attendant.

Programs are also available throughout the County to serve Vermont residents.  For a list of registered collection locations, visit: or call 1-855-6ecycle 

Punch tickets must be obtained at the Town Office.  Information sheets are available at the Transfer Station or Town Office.  Household Hazardous Waste is only accepted on designated days.  Residents of Tinmouth may also drop off their household hazardous waste at the Gleason Road Hazardous Waste Depot during normal operating hours.  PROOF OF RESIDENCY REQUIRED.

Waste management for Tinmouth is overseen by the Solid Waste Alliance Communities (SWAC):